You may be thinking, 'why bother?' It may seem that someone else is already doing this for you. But library advocacy is up to all of us. We must all work to promote libraries, to spread the word, and to advocate for the power of libraries in our own communities. Not everyone in your community knows what the library offers. And not everyone in your community sees the power of libraries. It is up to you to spread the word and to constantly show your community how essential libraries are. We do this through providing excellent service to patrons, reaching out to new patrons where they are, and telling the stories of our patrons through advocacy and social media.
So, how can you start advocating for your library? The easiest way to get involved, right at this moment, is to celebrate Canadian Library Month. Here are a few simple ideas:
- Put the Canadian Library Month banner on the home page of your website
- Change your social media profile pictures to the Canadian Library Month banner
- Hang Canadian Library Month posters in your library and hand out bookmarks
- Start conversations on social media about how the library inspires
- Host an event, like an open house, patron appreciation day, or library tour
- Set up a display in your library celebrating Canadian Library Month, featuring library-related titles
There are many more ideas, as well as images and resources, available on the Canadian Library Month website. It's time to start celebrating!